What is the Sports Premium?
The government is providing additional funding to improve the provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools.
This funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of PE, school sport and physical activity (PESSPA) in schools. Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PESSPA, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding might include:
- hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE
- supporting and engaging the least active children through new or additional Change4Life clubs paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport
- providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and sport
- running sport competitions, or increasing pupils’ participation in the School Games
- buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE and sport
- providing places for pupils on after-school sports clubs
- pooling the additional funding with that of other local schools
Please read the information below which gives details of our PE and Sport Premium Grant and how we allocate the funding.